What are you reading? Who are your favourite authors? If you're looking for any recommendations of In Your Face books, then you've come to the right place. All I can say is take your World Book Day tokens down to your local bookshop RIGHT NOW and pick up one of these guys:
1. Philip Reeve. He's written the Mortal Engines series and is the GRANDMASTER of Steampunk. If you want rolling cities that prey on each other, the most BADASS action heroine ever and nuke-powered terminators then these books are for you. Did I mention nuke-powered terminators? Oh yes.
2. Will Hill. His Department 19 will rock your world. Jamie Carpenter is recruited into a secret government organization dedicated to taking out vampires and stopping the BIG BAD, Count Dracula himself. This has a guaranteed 'no sparkly vampires here' stamp of approval.
3. Bernard Cornwell. Old school but still, when it comes to action, we all measure ourselves against his standard. Straight historical fiction with epic heroes like Sharpe and Arthur and I'd recommend either as a starting point. Yeah, you can thank me later.
4. George R.R Martin. Of Game of Thrones fame. You might have watched the series but the books are so much better. You will read these and then be saying 'Tolkien who?'.
5. Jon Mayhew. He's the author of Mortlock and Demon Collector so if you want your horror Gothic and very Victorian, he's the man you go to. If anyone out there deserves to take Darren Shan's horror crown, it's this guy. You will be sleeping with the lights on after you read his stuff.
Till next time.